XXXth Marian Smoluchowski Symposium on Statistical Physics September 3-8, 2017:
On the Uniformity of Laws of Nature
The 30th anniversary symposium is celebrated as
an EPS conference of the Statistical and Nonlinear Physics Division
Year 2017 has been proclaimed by the Polish Physical Society as the Marian Smoluchowski Year, to commemorate life of the outstanding physicist (1872-1917) and his influential scientific contributions to physics, mathematics and contemporary science.
The scope of the 2017 Symposium will cover:
- Nonequilibrium systems with large fluctuations and strong correlations
- Stochastic and quantum thermodynamics
- Fluctuation relations and large deviation theory
- Decoherence, chaos and quantum-classical correspondence
- Diffusive processes and weak ergodicity breaking
- Fluctuation-dissipation relation in fluids, granular media, nano- and biological-systems
- Active matter, collective phenomena in living systems
- Nonlinear dynamics and turbulence
- Complex networks
- Simulations and modeling in polymer physics and soft matter
- New frontiers in contemporary statistical physics
- Interdisciplinary applications
The conference will take place in Kraków (see location and lodging).
Katarzyna Chałasińska-Macukov (Warszawa, Poland) President of the Polish Physical Society
Christian Beck (London, Great Britain) Head, Statistical and Nonlinear Physics Division EPS
Ewa Gudowska–Nowak (Kraków, Poland) Conference Convenor
Jerzy Łuczka (Katowice, Poland)
Andrzej Fuliński (Kraków, Poland)
Satja Majumdar (Paris, France)
Karina Weron (Wrocław, Poland)
Aleksander Weron (Wrocław, Poland)
Zbigniew Grzywna (Gliwice, Poland)
The Marian Smoluchowski [1,2,3] Symposium on Statistical Physics is a cyclic scientific meeting which has been taken place annually in Poland since 1988. Brief information about history, scope and previous Symposia is available here.
The conference takes name after the famous Polish physicist who made huge contributions in the natural science and foundation of statistical physics. Links to the most important scientific works by Marian Smoluchowski are available here.
Marian Smoluchowski in front of the Collegium Novum, the main building of the Jagiellonian University.
The Marian Smoluchowski Symposium is organized traditionally under the patronage of the Jagiellonian University, Marian Smoluchowski Institute of Physics and Mark Kac Complex Systems Research Center. In 2016 the Organizing Committee includes also collaborating groups from the Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.